top of page
Ouma Marketing Agency Logo

9 Common Social Media Mistakes

It feels like every-other-day the rules are changing regarding what you should and shouldn't do to maximise your social media presence; with frequent updates from the likes of Adam Mosseri and Elon Musk, it can be difficult to find one true source of up-to-date and relevant information.



In addition to keeping you updated on the latest, important updates via our monthly round-up emails, we've also compiled a list of the most common mistakes companies make on their social media pages.


Highlights:

Ignoring their audience

Companies often forget that social media platforms are first and foremost designed to be a social engagement tool. They are two-way communication channels and often companies neglect to engage with their followers. This can lead to a lack of brand loyalty and a decrease in audience engagement, which can have a knock-on effect on your overall reach and performance. Our advice is to respond to as many comments as possible that are left on your posts, engage with other pages and brands on the platforms. Share interactive content and strike up conversations with your audience.


Posting irrelevant content

Social media users expect to see content that is relevant and valuable to them. Posting irrelevant content can lead to decreased engagement, and ultimately a loss in followers. It's key to understand your audience and know what they want to see. Take time to research your target market, and create your social content with them in mind.


Not having a strategy

Having a clear social media and content strategy is essential for a successful social media presence. Companies that don't have a strategy may struggle with consistency and find it difficult to connect with their audience.

Did you know we can create one-off kick-arse strategy documents?!



Not using visuals

Visuals are an effective way to grab attention and easily convey a message on social media. Not using visuals within your posts will often result in a lack of engagement across most platforms, Instagram and Facebook in particular.


Being too sales-focused

Social media users are not interested in being bombarded with sales pitches. < Read that again. Companies that focus too heavily on sales messaging may notice their audience will become tired of their messaging, and likely stop engaging with their posts, or unfollow them.

Top Tip: Follow the 80 / 20 rule on social media. 80% of all your social media posts should have the main goal of engaging your audience with absolutely no sales messaging. The remaining 20% can be sales related, however it's important to be clever with your messaging and find alternative ways to approach the topic; instead of selling the product or service, promote the outcome they can expect to receive.


Neglecting negative feedback

Negative feedback on social media shouldn't be ignored. Companies that neglect negative feedback risk damaging their reputation and losing the trust of their followers.


Not measuring success

Measuring success on social media is important for improving your strategy and reaching your sales targets. By measuring the success of your activity you can understand what your audience is responding to, and therefore tailor your strategy and content to align with the posts that your followers are engaging with.


Not being timely

Timeliness is important on social media. Companies that take too long to respond to comments, messages or trending topics risk losing the attention of their followers and can quickly become outdated or irrelevant.


Ignoring social media trends

Social media is constantly shifting and in order to keep-up, companies need to embrace new trends, and evolve with the platforms.


Avoiding these common mistakes can help you build a successful and effective social media presence. If you want to stay informed, sign up to receive our monthly emails!

Comments


bottom of page